The CNU Writers Conference Writing Contest Is Back!
April 1, 2016 – Submission deadline
Registrants may submit one entry in one or more of the four categories. Prizes will be awarded at the closing ceremony.
Fiction – Heidi Hartwiger
Nonficiton – Nicole Emmelhainz
Poetry – Robert Kelly
Juvenile Fiction – Laurie Krebs
1. All entries must be unpublished manuscripts. Work that appears in on-campus publications or online publications is considered published and may not be submitted.
2. Entries must be on 8.5×11-inch white paper and double spaced in 12-point font (Times New Roman or Courier).
3. Author may submit up to one work in each category. A $10 fee must accompany each submission.
4. There must be a removable title page (e.g., paper clipped) with the author’s name, address, category and title.
5. Title and page number must appear on each page of the manuscript.
6. The word count for each category is:
• Fiction: one story or book chapter, not to exceed 3,000 words
• Juvenile Fiction: one story or book chapter, not to exceed 2,000 words
• Nonfiction: one article or book chapter, not to exceed 3,000 words
• Poetry: one poem, not to exceed 100 lines
7. Judges have been requested to comment in writing (length at the their discretion).
8. Failure to follow contest rules will disqualify entry. Cancellation of registration will disqualify entries.
9. Faxed or emailed entries will not be accepted.
10. Entries must be mailed or delivered to:
Lifelong Learning Society
Christopher Newport University’s Yoder Barn Theatre,
660 Hamilton Drive, Newport News, VA 23602
11. CNU students may submit entries to Dr. Kara Keeling.
12. Entries may be picked up at the close of the conference or the LLS office. After 30 days, remaining entries will be shredded.
To register for the Writing Contest & 2016 Conference, please visit our Online Registration Page